And silence, like darkness, can be kind; it, too, is a language.
yeah, it’s saturday night and yeah i’m posting a depressing radiohead song. deal with it. to paraphrase godard: life’s shit and always beautiful.
Jesus fucking Christ.
Tonight in Ferguson, Mo. Even CNN is calling out police brutality.
We are watching history unfold. Do not stand down. Spread the word.
No justice, no peace.
Ten rape prevention tips:
1. Don’t put drugs in women’s drinks.
2. When you see a woman walking by herself, leave her alone.
3. If you pull over to help a woman whose car has broken down, remember not to rape her.
4. If you are in an elevator and a woman gets in, don’t rape her.
5. When you encounter a woman who is asleep, the safest course of action is to not rape her.
6. Never creep into a woman’s home through an unlocked door or window, or spring out at her from between parked cars, or rape her.
7. Remember, people go to the laundry room to do their laundry. Do not attempt to molest someone who is alone in a laundry room.
8. Use the Buddy System! If it is inconvenient for you to stop yourself from raping women, ask a trusted friend to accompany you at all times.
9. Carry a rape whistle. If you find that you are about to rape someone, blow the whistle until someone comes to stop you.
10. Don’t forget: Honesty is the best policy. When asking a woman out on a date, don’t pretend that you are interested in her as a person; tell her straight up that you expect to be raping her later. If you don’t communicate your intentions, the woman may take it as a sign that you do not plan to rape her.
The lie, the look, the grief are without permanence. The watch continues to tick where the story stops.
Distrust all in whom the impulse to punish is powerful.
A Bad Morning
Michael Brown, a quiet, 18-year-old black kid—who had recently graduated high school and was scheduled to begin college this week—was executed by a police officer. Witnesses say Brown had his hands in the air and was pleading for his life to be spared when the cop, who officials refuse to identify, finished him off with “more than a few” shots including, allegedly, at least one bullet to the face.
Photo: Law enforcement officers, including a sniper perched atop an armored vehicle, watch as demonstrators protest the fatal shooting of Michael Brown, in Ferguson, Mo., Aug. 13, 2014. (Photo: Whitney Curtis / The New York Times)
What is happening in Ferguson is exactly what opponents of the rise in military-style policing across America have long feared: when the feds arm white local cops with weapons of war and their superiors encourage them not to just play dress-up but to use their new war toys, it is inevitable that ordinary citizens – especially citizens of color – will get treated as the enemy.
You know how to whistle, don’t you, Steve? You just put your lips together and blow.
Rest in Peace, Lauren Bacall (September 16, 1924 – August 12, 2014)
lauren bacall: the sexiest, smartest, and pretty much most perfect woman who ever lived. rip.